Salt Fog (Spray) Testing
Corrosion of American infrastructure accounts for the loss of millions of dollars annually. Products ranging from hand tools to bridges must combat this phenomenon through proper design and coating protection. Laboratory accelerated corrosion testing enables clients to evaluate new designs and coatings in a controlled environment prior to release in to the real world.
Reasons to Consider Running a Salt Fog Test:
Salt fog testing is one of the most commonly used forms of corrosion testing. The salt fog testing has proven effective at determining the integrity and quality of the corrosive resistance of various metals or finishes.
A standard 5% solution of NaCl, known as NSS or neutral salt spray is chosen based on the specific coating being evaluated. A number of corrosion testing standards (see below under Test Methods) will require a manufacturer to satisfy certain specifications.
Here are just a few examples of tests that can be performed in conjunction with salt spray testing:
- Determine the corrosion creepage when a coated surface is scratched (as per ASTM D1654).
- Measure coating adhesion (as per ASTM D3359).
- Measure the degree of blistering (as per ASTM D714).
- Determine the degree of rusting (as per ASTM D610).
How Does Salt Fog Testing Correlate to the Real World
There is no direct correlation between a laboratory salt fog test and real world conditions. This is difficult to predict because substrates and coatings are always evolving, and outdoor environments are inherently variable on a day to day or location to location basis.
Why Use Applied Technical Services
ATS provides a state of the art test facility with the most up-to-date equipment, and a very knowledgeable staff that will provide exceptional customer service and insight on your testing. ATS also offers a detailed report that can contain any or all of the information below:
- Detailed photographs of the samples (at any specified interval).
- Chamber conditions (Examples: pH / Specific Gravity / Temperature).
- All calibration and compliance data of the salt fog chamber and any supporting equipment.
- Applied Technical Services laboratory accreditations, and certifications for the requested testing.
Below is a list of some of the test methods that ATS can perform: